Our Mission Statement:
The Village of Belgium leadership exists to work in partnership with its residents to promote economic growth and deliver a wide range of municipal services to those who live, work, or own property within the Village, in order to preserve its heritage and make this community a safe place to live, do business, and raise a family. Principals of honesty, fairness, dependability and compassion must govern the actions of the officials and the employees of the Village. Those who work for the Village as employees or as members of boards, committees and commissions are held to a higher standard in order to provide the strongest, most effective government managed by qualified and competent leadership comprised of elected and appointed officials without regard to their political affiliation.
The Village of Belgium Logo was designed in partnership with the Belgium Area Chamber of Commerce. Each part of the logo represents a valued aspect of our community
The Icon is comprised of a house, tree, and bicycle which symbolize home and family, nature, and recreation
The curving lines are symbolic of the waves of Lake Michigan and the waving of the Luxembourg flag in the wind.
Building our Future, Honoring our Past
Our Tagline captures the values we hold as a community. We strive to work together to build a strong and vibrant future while we remember our heritage and those who came before us.
The Story of our Name
While we are the Village of Belgium, our community was founded by immigrants from Luxembourg. We are home to the Luxembourg American Cultural Society and use the colors of the Luxembourg flag in our logo. So why are we called Belgium?
When many of the immigrants began settling this area in the 1800's much of Luxembourg had been annexed by Belgium. People who lived in the area began to refer to this as the "Belgium Area" because the settlers were, when they left Europe, citizens of Belgium, although ethnically Luxembourgish. In 1848 the Town of Belgium was split off from the Town of Port Washington.
In 1872 the Milwaukee, Lake Shore and Western Railway connecting Milwaukee to Sheboygan came through and a population began to settle around the railroad station. The Village of Belgium was incorporated out of some of the town's land in 1922.